
The Iranian flag flutters in front of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) organisation's headquarters in Vienna, Austria, June 5, 2023. — Reuters
#Iran #meet #European #powers #threats #sanctions #snapback
Istanbul: Iranian diplomats will meet with counterparts for nuclear talks with Germany, the UK and France on Friday, amid a warning that these three European powers can mobilize “Snapback” sanctions stated under the 2015 agreement.
The meeting in Istanbul will be the first after the attack on Iran in mid -June, which gave rise to a 12 -day war and targeted key nuclear and military sites.
Israel’s aggressive-that killed top commanders, nuclear scientists and hundreds of others as residential areas.
Since then, European powers, known as E3, have threatened to mobilize the “Snapback Mechanism”, which will effectively restore UN sanctions by the end of August under the Morbind 2015 nuclear deal.
Snapback’s option to expire in October, and Tehran have warned the results if E3 chooses to activate it.
A European source said, “There is no unprofessional option through E3,” saying that Tehran will be reminded during the meeting that Snapback window closes this fall.
Sources said that the European residents are preparing to mobilize the “mechanism in the absence of a negotiation solution and called for Iran to create a” clear indicator “about enrichment of uranium and restoration of UN nuclear care.
Prior to the talks on Friday, the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmile Baqi said the meeting would “be a valuable opportunity for Europeans to test realism and to correct its views on Iran’s nuclear issue, giving remarks to the government IRNA news agency.”
Sanctions
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazim Ghari Abadi, who will participate in talks with senior Iranian diplomat Majid Takht Rochai on Friday, warned that the stimulation of sanctions was “completely illegal”.
He also accused European powers of “stopping his promises” in the deal after President Donald Trump returned unilaterally in 2018.
“We have warned them of the dangers, but we are still looking for a common basis to handle the situation,” said Gharbadi.
Iranian diplomats have already warned that if UN sanctions were imposed, Tehran could withdraw from the global nuclear non -proliferation agreement.
The restoration of sanctions will deepen Iran’s international isolation and further pressure its already tension economy.
Israeli Foreign Minister Geodon Sar has called on European powers to mobilize the mechanism.
Israel’s June 13 attacks on Iran took place two days ago when Tehran and Washington will meet for the sixth round of nuclear talks.
On June 22, the United States attacked Iranian nuclear facilities in Fordo, Asfahn and Nuttans.
Before the war, Washington and Tehran were divided on the enrichment of uranium, which Iran described as “non -negotiation” right, while the United States called it the “Red Line”.
The International Atomic Energy Agency says Iran is making uranium 60 % purity-which is much higher than a cap of 3.67 % under the 2015 agreement and is closer to the arms classification level.
Tehran has said it is open to discuss the enrichment rate and levels, but does not have the right to enrich uranium.
A year after the withdrawal of the US nuclear deal, Iran began to return its promises, which imposed sanctions on its nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions.
Israel and Western powers have accused Iran of pursuing nuclear weapons – Tehran has permanently denied.
‘Unconfiguration’
Iran insists that it will not abandon its nuclear program, saying with Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi that “Iran’s status is irrelevant, and that our uranium enrichment will continue.”
Aragchi has already noted that the enrichment has been “stopped” due to “serious and severe” damage to nuclear places due to US and Israeli attacks.
The US bombing damage is not clear. Trump has claimed that the sites were “completely destroyed”, but US media reports have raised suspicion of disaster.
Since the 12 -day war, Iran has suspended cooperation with IAEA, and has accused it of prejudice and has failed to condemn the attacks.
Inspectors have left the country since then, but it is expected that in the coming weeks, Iran said cooperation in the future will take a “new shape”.
Israel has warned that if Iran’s facilities move towards reconstruction or weapons capability, it can resume strikes.
Iran has promised “strong reaction” to any future attacks.