Mayor Karachi Murtaza Wahab chairs a Karachi City Council meeting on June 10, 2024, with Deputy Mayor Salman Abdullah Murad also in attendance. — X/ @SalmanAMurad
#KMC #clarifies #council #passed #antiechallan #resolution
The Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) clarified late on Sunday that the council’s recent resolution against the heavy traffic e-challan has been widely misunderstood, stressing that the measure was never formally approved.
The city council was thrown into chaos on Friday over a resolution opposing new fines for traffic violations, some up to Rs 50,000, issued through the e-challan system.
The resolution raised objections to the heavy fines issued by Traffic e-Chillan in Karachi and demanded the Sindh government to withdraw the notification.
Presented by opposition leader Saeeduddin Advocate, the resolution was unanimously approved during the meeting presided over by Deputy Mayor Salman Abdullah Murad.
In its explanation, the KMC claimed that the resolution was neither properly discussed nor scrutinized. “A routine administrative error resulted in the signing of the document, which made it appear as if the resolution had been approved,” it said.
He clarified that the proposal had never gone through the appropriate steps required by the council’s rules, so it was not valid.
The KMC said it would bring the matter back to the next council meeting, where it would be properly discussed and decided as per the normal process.
A spokesman for Leader of the Opposition Saifuddin Advocate said the resolution was tabled on October 31 and leaders of Jamaat-e-Islami, PTI and PPP discussed it.
In particular, the controversial resolution highlighted the city’s deteriorating road infrastructure and raised concerns over discriminatory fines, urging that e-challenge notifications be repealed until the cameras can effectively handle crime rates.
He said that the Sindh government seemed uneasy after the council was united on the issue, adding that the council’s resolution could not be withdrawn just like that and described the signatures as “mistakenly” abnormal.
The spokesman added that Mayor Wahab should prioritize the interests of the city over the provincial government.
A milestone or bump in the road?
Last week, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah inaugurated the Traffic Regulation and Citation System (TRACs) at the Central Police Office, marking a milestone in the province’s digital transformation and governance reforms.
The new system replaces the outdated manual ticketing process with a fully automated e-ticketing mechanism, which uses advanced AI-integrated CCTV cameras to detect violations like over speeding, red light jumping and helmet non-compliance.
This system removes human discretion, confrontation and potential bias, ensuring fairness and accountability on the streets.
Tracks Facilitation Centers at major traffic offices and police stations will now provide assistance to citizens to pay fines, explain violations and contest challans.
This landmark initiative is set to transform the province’s approach to traffic management, exemplifying transparency, modernization and a strong commitment to citizen welfare.
Integration of TRACs with key government databases, including excise and tax, driving license system and NADRA e-facilities, and modern payment gateways allow citizens to securely view and pay traffic fines online or through their mobile devices.
The TRACS app makes the process even easier, empowering users to monitor violations and resolve challans in real-time.
In its initial phase, 200 cameras have been installed in Karachi, with plans to expand to 12,000 cameras across the city and eventually to other districts of Sindh. Integration of the system with the Citizens-Police Liaison Committee ensures transparent monitoring and redressal.
Riddled with errors
Despite all the hype, the tracks have come under fire after a citizen reported major errors.
An affected citizen told Geo News on Thursday that he received the e-challan despite committing any traffic violation. “The number plate shown in the picture is different from the one written in the text on the same challan,” he said.
He added that the challan stated that he had been fined Rs 2,500 for riding without a helmet at 9.45 am near Clifton’s teenage Talwar – while he was at home in Scheme 33 at the time.
E Chelan also picked up six demerit points against his name. The citizen expressed concern that if such digital errors persist, “who will the common man turn to for help?”
According to traffic police officials, the number of e-challans issued in Karachi in the last three days has reached 12,942. On the first day alone, 2,622 e-challans were issued within six hours, followed by 4,301 on the second day and 5,979 on the third.
Following mounting criticism, Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah directed traffic officials to waive the first e-challenge of motorcyclists as a gesture of goodwill, while warning that repeat offenders would face strict action.
Meanwhile, in the Sindh Assembly, Jamaat-e-Islami MPA Muhammad Farooq moved a resolution demanding an immediate review of the e-challenge system.
He termed the heavy fine as “unjustified” and demanded withdrawal of the notification imposing a fine of Rs 5,000 on motorcyclists. He said, “Karachi roads are broken, signboards are missing, yet citizens are being punished.
Separately, the Markazi Muslim League filed a constitutional petition in the Sindh High Court challenging the legality of the e-chilan system. The petition names the Sindh government, traffic and NADRA among the respondents, and claims that citizens are being threatened with withholding of their identity cards for non-payment of fines.
“The infrastructure of the entire city is in ruins. Imposing such heavy fines is no less than an ordeal for the residents of Karachi,” the petition said, explaining why fines in Karachi are Rs 5,000 while in Lahore they are only Rs 200. The petitioners have urged the court to fix the case for urgent hearing.