
A man reacts as people gather near the burial site of former Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, who was killed in Israel airstrikes last year, on the outskirts of Beirut, Lebanon February 23, 2025. — Reuters
#pushes #Lebanon #plan #disarm #Hezbollah #years
Beirut: The United States is urging Lebanon to agree on a plan that will be seen that Hezbollah will abandon its weapons by the end of the year, as well as the elimination of Israeli military operations in the country, as well as a Lebanese cabinet agenda.
The proposal also urges Israeli forces to withdraw from five positions in southern Lebanon to reduce tensions along the border and prevent further clashes.
US President Donald Trump’s envoy to the region, Tom Barrack’s plan, and after discussing at a Lebanese cabinet meeting on Thursday, has so far taken the most detailed steps to clear the Iranian -backed Hezbollah group, which has led to a warning of unmanageable warfare.
After the cabinet meeting on Thursday, Lebanese Minister of Information Paul Morcos said that the cabinet had only approved the goals of the barracks but did not fully discuss it.
“We did not find the details or components of the US proposal,” said Morcos. Our conversation and decision was limited to its purposes. “
The purposes of the US proposal include clarifying the armed presence of non -state actors, including Hezbollah, deploying Lebanese forces to key borders and interior areas, withdrawing from five Israeli positions, resolving prisoners through indirect dialogue, and permanently recognizing Lebanon’s borders.
A spokesman for the state department said Thursday that the United States welcomed the Lebanese government’s decision to work to bring Lebanese armed forces under state control.
The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office refused to comment, while the Defense Ministry did not respond immediately.
Hezbollah did not immediately comment on the proposal, but three political sources told Reuters that Iranian -backed group ministers and their Muslim Shiite allies withdrew from the cabinet meeting on Thursday during a discussion on the proposal.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi told Iranian State TV on Wednesday that this was not the first time that Iran’s backed group was cleared of weapons, adding that the final decision was on the group.
Iraqi added, “We work as a supporter but we do not interfere with their decision -making.”
Israel suffered a major shock to Hezbollah in an aggression last year, the rise of the conflict that began in October 2023 when the Lebanese group opened fire on a Frontier in Israeli positions, which announced its militant Palestinian Eli Hamas at the beginning of the Gaza war.
The US proposal aims to “increase and strengthen the ceasefire agreement between Lebanon and Israel in November.”
“The rush of the proposal has been pointed out, pointing to an increasing number of complaints related to Israeli violations of the current ceasefire, including airstrikes and cross -border operations, which are at risk of eliminating a critical status,” he said.
In the first phase of the project, the Beirut government will need to issue a decree within 15 days of Hezbollah’s full weapons by December 31, 2025. At this stage, Israel will also eliminate the ground, wind and maritime military operations.
Phase 2 will demand Lebanon begin implementation of a reduction arms plan within 60 days, the government has approved a detailed (Lebanese army deployment plan) to support the plan to bring all weapons to the state. The project will explain the goals of the weapons.
During Phase 2, Israel will begin to withdraw from these positions in southern Lebanon, and Israeli -occupied Lebanese prisoners will be released in collaboration with the Red Cross International Committee (ICRC).
During Phase 3, within 90 days, Israel will withdraw the last two of its five points, and funding will be obtained to remove the debris in Lebanon and Infrastructure Recovery in the preparation of reconstruction.
In Phase 4, within 120 days, Hezbollah’s remaining heavy weapons will have to be eliminated, including missiles and drones.
In Phase 4, the United States, Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar and other friendly states will organize an economic conference to support the Lebanese economy and rebuilding and “a prosperous and viable country to implement President Trump’s vision to return to Lebanon.