
An aerial view of the black smoke and flames at a market in Omdurman, Khartoum North, Sudan, May 17, 2023 in this screengrab obtained from a handout video. — Reuters
#people #killed #Sudan #market #attack
Port Sudan: At least 56 people were killed by artillery shelling and air strikes across the Greater Khartoum on Saturday, according to a medical source of latest bloodshed in the devastating Sudan war.
Since April 2023, Sudan’s regular army and paramilitary military Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have been closed in a war for power, which has intensified this month that the army has withdrawn control of the capital. The army has fought.
According to a medical source and the Ministry of Health, RSF Shelling injured 54 people and injured 158 people in a market -controlled market -controlled Omdorman market, which is a medical source and a part of the Greater Khartoum, according to the Ministry of Health.
A survivor told AFP, “shells occurred in the middle of the vegetable market, which is why the victims and the injured are many.”
The RSF refused to carry out the attack, which Borders (MSF) without French Medical Charity doctors said that the hospital had a “sheer massacre”.
One of the hundreds of volunteer groups in Sudan, a local emergency response room, said that Khartoum was killed, two civilians were killed and dozens were injured and dozens were injured in an air strike in a RSF -controlled area, The local emergency response room, which is one of the hundreds of volunteer groups in connection with emergency maintenance in Sudan.
Although the RSF has also used drones in the attacks on Saturday, regular armed forces fighter jets have maintained monopoly on air strikes.
Both the RSF and the army have been repeatedly accused of targeting civilians and indiscriminately firing residential areas.
In addition to killing tens of thousands of people, the war has destroyed more than 12 million and eliminated Sudan’s fragile infrastructure, forcing most of the health facilities to be excluded from the service.
Meter from the hospital
MSF general secretary Chris Lockyer was at Alno Hospital on Saturday, where he said “it is full of dead bodies”.
“I can see the lives of men, women and children torn, he said in a statement, there are injured people in every possible place in the emergency room because physics can do what they can.”
A volunteer at the hospital told AFP that he “suffered severe shortage of shroud, blood donors and stretches to carry the injured”.
One of the last medical facilities operating in Omdurman has been repeatedly attacked.
According to the Union of Sudanese doctors, a shell fell from the hospital “just at a distance of meters”.
The union said most of the victims were women and children, and they demanded nurses and doctors in the area to go to the hospital to remove the “severe shortage of medical staff”.
The fighting in the capital began after weeks when the army launched an aggression in central Sudan, which re -claimed Al Jazeera State’s capital, Wade Madani, before setting his eyes on Khartoum.
Then RSF Wood has been under road control between Madani and Khartoum, but an army -affiliated militia on Saturday controls Tambol, Raufa, Al -Hassaisa and Al -Halia, some 125 km (77 miles) cities southeast. Nouria. Capital
The group is headed by the Sudan Shield Forces, Abu Akla, who refused the RSF last year and was accused of atrocities against civilians with the RSF and now with the army. Is
Sudan is effectively divided, in which the RSF, almost all of Darfur, is under the control of all the vast western region and the south, and under the control of the army controlling the east and north of the country.
Responding action
After months of halt in the Greater Khartoum, the army has broken the siege of the RSF at several bases in the capital, including its headquarters, and it rapidly pushed a paramilitary squad on the outskirts of the city. Is
Eyewitnesses said that the bombing of Omdorman came from the western suburbs of the city on Saturday, where the RSF is under control.
It came a day later when RSF commander Mohammad Hamdan Diglu vowed to take the capital again.
“We removed them first (from Khartoum), and we will remove them again,” he told the soldiers in a rare video address.
The Greater Khartoum has been an important battlefield between the Army and the RSF for about 22 months, and has been reduced to the shell of its former self.
Investigations by the London School of Hygen and Tropical Medicine revealed that 26,000 people were killed in the capital between April 2023 and June 2024 alone.
According to the UN, the entire palaces have been taken over by the fighters while at least 3.6 million citizens have escaped.
Those who have been able to leave have repeatedly reported a fire in the artillery in residential areas, and the opposition has been hungry in the palaces by opposing forces.
According to a UN -backed food security phase rating, at least 106,000 people suffer from famine in Khartoum, facing another 3.2 million to face the level of hunger crisis.
Throughout the country, famine has been announced in five sectors – most of them in Darfur – and it is expected that five more will be gripped by May.